The Beginning

June 27

So I have been trying to think about how I want to do this whole blog thing. Do I go back to day one? Do I do it a person at a time? Do I jump all over the place? Well, the last one isn’t really an option because that would drive me up the wall. I’m too organized for

Why don’t we start with Matthew? (I think I should get a cup of tea for this one…)

MMmmm I have my tea. Now, where do I start?

Matthew was born on October 7, 1996 (13 days early). He was our second pregnancy with the first ending in miscarriage at 9.5 weeks almost one year earlier to the day. The first three months of this pregnancy were spent on the flat of my back. I had some beelding which was a result of a amnio-chorion separation (two layers of the sack were not fusing together properly). I was assured that as the baby and my uterus grew this would correct itself, which at about 16 weeks, did. The remainded of the pregnancy was great! I felt wonderful and enjoyed every minute of it.

During an ultrasound at 35 weeks an issue with Matthew’s kidney was revealed. It seemed that there was just a mass of tissue where his kidney should be (hydronephrosis). There didn’t appear to be any kidney function there at all, but further testing once he was born would tell us what we needed to know. My Dad only has one kidney so I didn’t worry too much about it, as he has lived a very healthy life with no major complications.

It was a Sunday evening when I thought this could be it. Mike was at work but we were living in the basement apartment at my parent’s home so I knew if I couldn’t wait until 6:30AM when Mike got off work, everything would be ok. I spent most of the night pacing back and forth in our living room. I’d try to lie down, I’d try to sit down, nothing worked. I felt most comfortable sitting (of all places) on the toilet Shocked! LOL Around 4:30 AM I decided to get our bags together and get dressed – just in case. By 5:30 I had enough. I couldn’t walk up the stairs to wake Mom and Dad up, so I called them! Mom answered the phone and I said I think we better go to the hospital It sounded like a herd of elephants upstairs…lol. They were up and dressed and running down the stairs in about 30 seconds. I was calmly standing at the bottom with my bags ready, jacket on, all set to go. Of course, I had been talking to Mike on and off throughout the night and he was not amused that he couldn’t leave work. He was working as a 911 dispatcher at this time and couldn’t very well just leave! I knew he would be off at 6:30 so I figured we’d get all the paper work done before he arrived. Off we went. Mom, Dad and I. I can remeber laughing because Mom let me sit in the front seat of the car while she climbed in back! I think Dad was a little bit nervous.

When we arrived at the hospital I was 6 cms and fully effaced. Yikes, this may not take too long at all. Dad left to go get my sister, who was in university 2.5 hours away, as soon as Mike arrived. My cousin went and picked up Mike’s Mom, so all we had to do was wait. Mom and Mike’s Mom sat quietly over in the corner of the room while the Dr.’s and nurses buzzed in and out. At 8:30 the pains were really bad in my back so they gave me a shot of morphine. Mike was tired after working backshift and started dozing off after each contraction. When 9:00 came they told me I could start pushing. The morphine had kicked in and all I wanted to do was snooze. Not an option. Pushing is a lot harder than it sounds for someone who didn’t take any Lamaze classes or anything like that. I was getting frustrated quickly. It didn’t seem to me like anything was happening, but I was told I was doing great and it wouldn’t be long now. At 10:42AM Matthew was born weighing in at 6 lbs 13 ounces and 21 inches long. We had a boy Smiley!! The 2 grandmothers were just about jumping over the moon! Mike was down at the foot of the bed with the Doctor (never mind his and was there to catch Matthew upon arrival! That was special. I can remember the Doctor asking me if I wanted to touch his head as he crowned. What I told him wasn’t very nice!!

After a couple of stitches, that was it. We had our boy. My sister and father arrived 20 minutes after he was born. My sister was supposed to be there with me during the labour and delivery but I neglected to call her earlier (my brain just wasn’t working right).

She was able to help out with the Apgar Score, as she had just finished her labour and delivery pratical for university (she, of course, was studying nursing). The nurses were great to let her give them a hand.

Once he was all cleaned up and deemed healthy, he was wisked away for an ultrasound on his kidney. We would be seeing a Urologist within a couple of weeks. All went well and about an hour later we were settled into our room. I was in for two days and was released just before the Thanksgiving weekend. Wow, did we ever have a lot to be thankful for this year.

So, there you have the very beginning of Sir Matthew’s journey. C’mon back next time to see how things went once we got him home!

About angeloftheisland

Welcome to An Angel’s Island. I’m Tracey (aka angeloftheisland). I’m also Mom to 19 year old Matthew who constantly keeps me on my toes. He’s our “special” boy who shows us daily how he deals with the world of ADHD, a Nonverbal Learning Disorder and Asperger’s Syndrome. He’s my hero. Marcus is 8 and reminds me everyday that he’s in no way going to make the school years boring for his Dad and me!! I’m also wife to Mike for 25 years now. Mike is my best friend and soul-mate and he has showed me over the years, that yes – dreams do come true. Our life may not be the most exciting but there’s always something going on. Welcome to our Happy Place, newly renamed Hilliard's Happy Hideaway. I hope you enjoy what I’ve shared about our family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s