The Honeymoon

I woke up pretty early the day after we were married. I think I was awake by 7:00! I just lied there for a while thinking about everything that had gone on the day before trying to make sure I had the entire day etched in my mind. Thinking back, everything went absolutely perfectly. I don’t think there was anything I would have changed – well ok, maybe there was ONE thing I would have changed, but unfortunately I have no control over Mother Nature; I thought I did, but She showed me She was still boss! My wedding night may not have gone exactly as planned, but what can you do?

Mike was still sound asleep beside me and I tossed and turned trying to wake him up. I got out of bed and looked at the cards our friends had left, had a better look at the lingerie and laughed to myself wondering what on earth they were thinking. Did they honestly expect that I would wear that?? Good grief!

I obviously made enough noise to shake Mike into a state of semi-consciousness as he started stirring. Once he was awake enough to comprehend that I was talking to him I said good morning and apologized for falling asleep on him last night, which is when I found out that he thoroughly enjoyed the bottle of wine that was left in our room for us. He didn’t seem any worse for wear so I figured there was no harm done.

Mike started the coffee while I hopped in the shower and tried to get the 2 tonnes of hairspray out of my hair. We sat, had our coffee, and gabbed about the day before. By the time he was showered and ready I had everything picked up to go. I don’t think it was 9:00 at this point, but I wanted to get home! There were oodles of presents there to open!!! Plus we were heading to Baddeck to spend the night at the Inverary Inn, probably one of the classiest resorts on Cape Breton Island.

It was still raining quite heavily and was just a dreary, yucky day. Arriving back home we notice that there is no sign of life yet. Mom and Dad must have been late getting home. So in we creep and head to our apartment. Holy smokes! The apartment was full of stuff. They had gotten all the gifts taken home, unloaded and set up in our living room. They are all probably not all that long in bed! ~~Sigh~~ I guess we’d be in big trouble if we started opening stuff without the parents, huh?

Mike called his mother and grandmother and of course, woke them up. Geez! I’m worse than a kid at Christmas!

Anyway, within a couple of hours everyone was assembled and we started. It took almost 3 hours to open and go through everything. We were just amazed! Everyone was so generous. What a great way to start!

Once things had settled down Mike’s Mom handed us one final card. It was given to her the day before but she wanted to wait and give it to us when things had calmed down. I opened it and I could not believe my eyes. It was a card from Mike’s father and his wife with a $100 bill inside of it. I wondered if it was really his father’s doing or if his father’s wife did it without his knowledge. It was his father’s doing and his father was outside the church throughout the ceremony down in the back of the parking lot. Wow. I didn’t know whether to tear the money up or take it and spend it with a smile on my face. It was a hard call. Mike said we would keep it, that it was the least he could have given him in the last 23 years.

So, after getting all the gifts opened, and saying our goodbyes, we started off on our honeymoon. Nothing big and extravagant – simply one night at Inverary Inn (probably the most extravagant part) followed by a few days in St. John New Brunswick with my uncle and his family.

The rain was still coming down in buckets, and we had a drive of about 45 minutes to Baddeck. It took a little over an hour to get there. Then we got into our room, changed, and went to supper. It was an incredible meal, and the people were so dignified and high-class. I felt a little out of place until Mike said not to worry about it. For all any of them knew, he was Donald Trump’s nephew. So, we relaxed, and enjoyed our meal.

That evening we made a couple of trips to the store for some munchies for in the room, spent some time in the hot tub, had cognac delivered by room service (my first and last time ever for cognac), and just relaxed from a very busy few days.

The next morning we were meeting Mike’s cousin John at the bus stop outside Baddeck, and giving him a drive back to New Brunswick. He lived in Oromocto, about an hour away from my uncle. John had been Mike’s best man.

We all settled in, and were off for the seven-hour drive to Oromocto. We dropped John off, said a few quick hellos to everyone, and then headed for Darling’s Island, outside of St. John, where my uncle lived.

We spent a few days there with them, shopped and did the tourist thing in St. John, and even drove for two hours one day so Mike could take me (of all things) HORSEBACK riding. We had a ball.

After a couple of days there, we headed back to Oromocto for a couple of days, and then down to Halifax for the Rod Stewart concert. We stayed with another of Mike’s cousin’s while we were in Halifax, and saw Rod perform on Citadel Hill.

The next day, it was back to Sydney, and the start of our “real” life as husband and wife.

Lots more to come, as we explore living together, establishing boundaries, coordinating lifestyles, and finding out exactly what being married was all about.

Until next time…

About angeloftheisland

Welcome to An Angel’s Island. I’m Tracey (aka angeloftheisland). I’m also Mom to 19 year old Matthew who constantly keeps me on my toes. He’s our “special” boy who shows us daily how he deals with the world of ADHD, a Nonverbal Learning Disorder and Asperger’s Syndrome. He’s my hero. Marcus is 8 and reminds me everyday that he’s in no way going to make the school years boring for his Dad and me!! I’m also wife to Mike for 25 years now. Mike is my best friend and soul-mate and he has showed me over the years, that yes – dreams do come true. Our life may not be the most exciting but there’s always something going on. Welcome to our Happy Place, newly renamed Hilliard's Happy Hideaway. I hope you enjoy what I’ve shared about our family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s