It’s A ……………

All right, so we are 13 days away from Christmas. I know I am constantly going on about how fast time is going by, but this is insane. Maybe it’s because my mind is so preoccupied, I don’t know. It just feels as though I wake up in the morning and then the next thing I know I’m waking up again and I got very little accomplished. Please tell me I’m not the only one who feels this way. I know I am getting things done; my tree has been up for 3 weeks, everything is bought, and we’re pretty much good to go – my question is this – when comes the time to enjoy everything? It’ll all be over and done with for another year and I think I’ll be wondering where it went.

I think part of the reason why things have been going so fast is that we had another appointment in Halifax for my 20-week ultrasound. That was on Monday. We decided to make a weekend out of it and took Matthew along with us. Other than having to relocate from our hotel we had a great time. The first place we booked looked great on the website. Let me tell you, when we got there I wouldn’t even take my coat off. We were there a total of 10 minutes and decided there was no way we could stay. I wouldn’t expect a stray cat to stay in there. So there we are, suppertime in Halifax with nowhere to stay. We drove closer to downtown and went in to the Cambridge Suites hoping and praying that they would have a room available for the 2 nights we were going to be there. Much to my delight, they were able to accommodate us! We got settled in no time and our weekend escape was able to begin. We went out and had a nice supper and by the time we returned to the hotel room, we were all pretty well beat. I think I was in bed before 10:00. What a snooze we all had, though. I was glad we were all well rested the next morning as we had a day of shopping planned.

Shortly before noontime we hit one of the malls. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I’m pregnant, but I couldn’t walk very far without having to sit for a break. My back was just throbbing and I must have been stretching or something because I had an awful pain in my side. So I’d sit and off Mike and Matthew would go exploring. Matthew loved seeing all the decorations and seeing the Santa Claus displays. I did manage to hobble into a few maternity stores and pick up a few things, which was fun. Shopping is shopping, maternity or not! We also had a pit stop at Toys R Us. LOL. Do you know how hard it is to shop for an 11 year old when he is there with you?? I ended up taking him to Old Navy with me and Mike did a marathon shopping session and managed to get the stuff out to the van and camouflaged. Hopefully we don’t get busted on the way home! We grabbed a bite to eat later in the afternoon and made our way back to the hotel room to drop off our loot before we headed out for a CPO gathering. It was great to see some of the girls and their kiddies again and I was really excited that Matthew seemed more comfortable and eager to play with the kids than he was during our summer picnic. Again, it wasn’t a late night, as we had to be to the hospital for our ultrasound at 9:00AM the next morning.

Only when we allow a ton of time for traffic will it happen that the mornings commute is relatively pain-free. We left the hotel at 8:15 and were sitting in the waiting room by 8:30, so we had a little wait. Matthew is not a good waiter. So he and Mike were making up stories to tell each other and before I knew it, they were calling me in for my ultrasound. The tech asked if Mike and Matthew were joining us, but I quickly and quietly explained to her that I wanted to make sure everything was okay before we took Matthew into the room. She was the same tech who went through everything with me with Emily 5 years ago, so once she realized whom I was she completely understood. We took no time to become reacquainted. After doing a quick scan she told me things looked great and the Dr. would be in shortly to go over the results of the Maternal Serum testing.

Two small issues resulted from the testing. The first being a 1 in 230 chance of spina bifida, which he immediately ruled out with the ultrasound. The second was a slightly about average chance of Down syndrome. He checked for markers in the ultrasound and was pleased to report there were none.

Before the tech went to get Matt and Mike she asked if I wanted to know the sex and I told her that we decided to find it out only because our son had his heart set on a girl and if this was a boy he would need time to get used to that idea. It was a boy. Oh wow, I was so sure it was a girl, but it didn’t matter to me at all. As long as he was healthy, I didn’t care one way or the other. Then Matthew and Michael came in. Matt was amazed. He could see the baby moving around and was so fascinated that he could pick out all the body parts that he was seeing. Then he asked the question. I told him it was a boy. Well, he crossed his arms across his chest, put on the lip, lowered his head and sat in the chair. Pretty much what I figured would happen, minus the meltdown. He now has 4 months to get used to the idea of a brother as opposed to a sister. And I don’t think it’s so much that he doesn’t “want” a brother, but he’s just convinced that if the baby was a boy, the baby would “copy” him and want to play with all his toys. Try telling a child with Asperger’s that that won’t happen. Trying to explain to him that by the time the baby is 2 years old he will be 13 and they will not want to “play” with the same things is like trying to talk to the wall. Actually I think I’d be able to reason with the wall better. However, now we have 4 months for him to get used to the idea and hopefully the feelings will subside over time. I am just very thankful that we didn’t wait and introduce him to his baby brother once he was born and have him be resentful or not accepting of a boy. I don’t know. Only time will tell if we did the “right” thing or not.

Anyway, everything was fantastic. I was given a clean bill of health (as was Marcus) and we don’t have to go back. I was told to come home and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy! Absolute music to my ears!!

So now I can concentrate on Christmas! My Dad had a knee replacement done yesterday and is getting along okay. Once we have him home next week, we’ll be good to go! Bring it on!! I am hoping for a wonderful holiday season and my plan is to give Matthew the best Christmas I can. This will be his last Christmas all to himself, so I want it to be special. Not that next year won’t be special, but it’s been all about him for the last 11 years. Next year we’ll have an 8 month old to join in our joy!

Here’s the latest picture. 20 weeks 5 days and counting!

Until next time…

About angeloftheisland

Welcome to An Angel’s Island. I’m Tracey (aka angeloftheisland). I’m also Mom to 19 year old Matthew who constantly keeps me on my toes. He’s our “special” boy who shows us daily how he deals with the world of ADHD, a Nonverbal Learning Disorder and Asperger’s Syndrome. He’s my hero. Marcus is 8 and reminds me everyday that he’s in no way going to make the school years boring for his Dad and me!! I’m also wife to Mike for 25 years now. Mike is my best friend and soul-mate and he has showed me over the years, that yes – dreams do come true. Our life may not be the most exciting but there’s always something going on. Welcome to our Happy Place, newly renamed Hilliard's Happy Hideaway. I hope you enjoy what I’ve shared about our family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s